LIVERMORE AREA RECREATION AND PARK DISTRICT
REGULAR MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2008
ROBERT LIVERMORE COMMUNITY CENTER
4444 EAST AVENUE, LIVERMORE, CALIFORNIA
CRESTA BLANCA BALLROOM
DIRECTORS PRESENT: Director Furst, Director Kamena and Director Wilson
DIRECTORS ABSENT: Director Faltings and President Goodman
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Chiye Azuma, Michael Kyle, Rich Lange, Gretchen Sommers
1. CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Meeting was called to order by Director Kamena at 7:00 p.m. All Directors were present except Director Faltings and President Goodman, who were attending the California Park and Recreation Society (CPRS) Conference in Long Beach.
2. PUBLIC FORUM
Director Kamena opened public comment. No public comment received. Director Kamena closed public comment.
3. CONSENT AGENDA:
3.1 BOARD MINUTES
3.1.1 Meeting of February 13, 2008
3.2 COMMUNICATIONS: None.
Director Kamena asked if Directors wished to remove anything from the Consent Agenda. Director Furst referenced page 2, paragraph 2, in the minutes of the February 13, 2008 meeting. He requested the following correction: in the discussion regarding temporary horse stalls, that the minutes state that, “Currently, LARPD permits overnight parking and camping in Robertson Park with the General Manager’s consent.” Director Furst referenced page 3 in the minutes, in the middle of the last paragraph, and requested that the statement regarding the funding of the ranger station be corrected. Director Wilson stated that, in several places in the minutes, consultant Reed Dillingham is referred to as “Mr. Reed;” this should be corrected to Mr. Dillingham.
On a motion by Director Wilson, seconded by Director Furst, approved the Consent Agenda, as amended, passing 3-0. President Goodman and Director Faltings were absent.
4. CONSENT AGENDA RESOLUTIONS:
4.1 NOMINATING MARYALICE FALTINGS TO SERVE AS DIRECTOR AT LARGE ON THE CARPD BOARD OF DIRECTORS
4.2 ACCEPTANCE FOR PERMANENT MAINTENANCE THE CONSTRUCTION AND LANDSCAPE IMPROVEMENTS TO TRAIL SEGMENT A-1
Director Kamena asked if Directors had any questions or comments regarding the Consent Agenda Resolutions. No questions or comments.
Resolution No. 2104, a resolution nominating Maryalice Faltings to serve as Director at Large on the California Association of Recreation and Park Districts Board of Directors and Resolution No. 2105, a resolution accepting for permanent maintenance the construction and landscape improvements by Meritage Homes to Trail Segment A-1, passed by the following roll call vote:
AYES: Director Wilson, Director Furst and Director Kamena (3)
NOES: None (0)
ABSTENTIONS: None (0)
ABSENT: Director Faltings and President Goodman (2)
5. BIDS AND PUBLIC HEARINGS: None.
6. OLD BUSINESS: None.
7. NEW BUSINESS: None.
8. MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE DIRECTORS
1) Director Wilson said that she volunteered as a server at the February 24 Ravenswood Victorian Tea event. She complimented Director Faltings on her organization of the event. Director Wilson said that attendees had a very nice time, and the event appeared to be a wonderful success.
2) Director Wilson said that she is a teacher in Tracy and that today she brought one of her classes on a field trip to a Ranger program in Sycamore Grove Park. She said the students learned about pumas; the puma is their school mascot. She said she was impressed that the students did research before the program, which was conducted by Rangers Patti Cole and Pat Sotelo. Ms. Wilson said the kids were very excited, and it was wonderful to see them learning about animals and plants. She said it was the first time she had participated in such a program.
3) Director Kamena stated that he took his daughter to see the lunar eclipse in Sycamore Grove Park through an LARPD Ranger program. He said it was a fun outing with about 30 people, and that they had a good time.
4) Director Furst said he would like a written list of the grant writer’s projects and information on the prioritization of the projects on which she is working.
1) Community Center Director Rich Lange announced that Lawrence Livermore National Security, formerly Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, is hosting its youth science fair next week at the RLCC. Mr. Lange said that the Board is invited to the special reception on Thursday, March 6, in the RLCC Larkspur Room from 4:00-7:00 p.m. Mr. Lange said he would provide more information to the Board about this. He said this is the third year of this successful event.
Meeting adjourned to Executive Session at 7:10 p.m.
10. EXECUTIVE SESSION
10.1 REAL ESTATE NEGOTIATIONS
Pursuant to Section 54956.8 of the Government Code
Property: 13.5 acres of land, Robertson Park Rd., Livermore, CA
Agency Negotiator: District Staff and/or Legal Counsel
Negotiating Parties: Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District
Under Negotiation: Terms of Purchase
11. RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION
Meeting reconvened to Open Session at 7:50 p.m.
12. REPORT ON ACTION TAKEN IN EXECUTIVE SESSION
No action to report.
Meeting adjourned at 7:51 p.m.
Richard G. Lange
Community Center Director