Maitland R. Henry Neighborhood Park

Maitland Henry

1525 Mendocino Road
5 acres
Opened 1972

Contains tot lot, barbecue pits and picnic tables.

Maitland Henry Neighborhood Park was first dedicated in 1972 when it and the surrounding neighborhood were developed. It was rededicated following a 1990 remodel and again in October, 2003 after a $242,000 renovation of the five-acre site, including new play equipment, a drinking fountain, Americans With Disabilities-accessible ramps, landscaping and an improved infrastructure.

The park's namesake operated The Livermore Herald (later the Tri-Valley Herald) Weekly Newspaper for 44 years. He came to Livermore as a child in 1899 when his father, Arthur L. Henry, purchased the Livermore Herald. "Mait," as he was known, became publisher in 1921 upon his father's death.

He was perhaps best known for his front page column, "Reflections by MRH," that continued even after Floyd Sparks bought the newspaper in 1965. Henry was elected president of the California Newspaper Publishers Association in 1934 and his paper won many statewide awards over the four decades that he ran it.

But, Henry's interests were much wider than just his business; he was active in the local Rotary Club, Lions Club, Livermore Post of the American Legion, Livermore Stockmen's Rodeo Association, Livermore Chamber of Commerce, Livermore High School Board of Trustees, Livermore Library Board of Trustees, Livermore Historical Society, Livermore Aerie of Eagles and the Boy Scouts of America Twin Valley District Committee. He was one of the last surviving members of the Company I National Guard Unit.

Henry was instrumental in initiating Livermore's observance of its centennial in 1969, but suffered a stroke before his plans were fulfilled. He died on July 26, 1976.

Concurrent to this park being named in his honor, an adjacent elementary school carried his name. It operated from 1972-1976, when it merged with Rancho Las Positas School and the land was divided between the park and the homes that were developed on Del Norte Drive and Court. Henry is survived by three children: Art and Bob Henry, and Nancy Lyons.